Complexity of Differentiated Instruction
An expert in the field of DI is Carol Ann Tomlinson, a Professor of Educational Leadership, Foundations, and Policy at the University of Virginia. What better place to start than with an expert in the field. I chose Reconcilable Differences? Standards-Based Teaching and Differentiation, an article written by Tomlinson (Educational Leadership 58 no.1, 6-11 Sept. 2000) I accessed it through my membership at ASCD but also found the article through UF libraries online journal (Wilson Web). I cannot link it since it requires a login to access at both sites.
Tomlinson writes, "What we call differentiation is not a recipe for teaching. It is not an instructional strategy. It is not what a teacher does when he or she has time. It is a way of thinking about teaching and learning." Because DI is a way of thinking about teaching and learning, DI is complex. It is not a skill that can be learned quickly and integrated easily. In fact the recommendation is that DI be integrated slowly, one aspect at a time.
The same holds true for educational technology. Edcuational technology is also a way of thinking about teaching and learning. It is easy for schools to buy the latest and greatest software or the latest and greatest hardware; it is extremely difficult to integrate these tools in an effective way so that teaching is enhanced and student learning (achievement) increases.
Through this blog, I plan to investigate ways in which educational technologies can be utilized to differentiate instruction and differentiate assessment in meaningful ways so that student learning is increased in high school science.
Labels: differentiated instruction

2 Comments:
I agree that the term Educational Technology (ET) is very broad. Is ET having computers in the classroom? Well yes, but what are we doing with those tools? ET is also a system for using those tools (software). That broad nature of the term is what makes this field interesting and open to diverse diciplines.
I see technology as another way to differentiate instruction. Like any method, to use any one instructional method all the time hurts kids (technology included). Since you can differentiate by interest, learning profile, or readiness, technology can assist the teacher in any of those arenas. Take a look at this site, which uses Computer Assisted Instruction in science. http://www.k8accesscenter.org/training_resources/computeraided_science.asp
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home