The Media Equation and Its Application to Secondary Science Teaching
Having read Chapter 1: The Media Equation by Reaves, Byron and Nass, the research suggests that the media equation exists: "media = real life" at least as far as our brains can tell. The authors suggest that the human brain has not evolved to distinguish media from real life. In the past, what we saw, both people and places, were real. Today what we see, people and places on screen (in media), are not real but our brains perceive such as real.
Okay, so we have emotional responses to media, whether it be a movie, a computer software program, or a person on an infomercial because we anthromorphosize objects in our lives. We have been having such responses probably throughout our entire evolution. As people read fiction and nonfiction, the responses can be equally strong as when watching a scary movie.
So what does this mean for me as a science teacher? Since the equation seems to be validated, media equates to real life, it is important that when I choose different technologies for my students to use or to view, I must be critical in my choices. I must choose accurate videos and simulations since students will believe what is shown. Again, this lends itself to the importance of teaching students how to determine if information they receive on line is legitimate, and hence, accurate, and ultimately "real".
Additionally, as the authors noted, "motion demands attention". Students will allocate more of their attention to media which is active, moving. Thus, my media choices need not only be high quality and accurate, I must attempt to find media that includes moving pictures that elicit student engagement.
So as I evaluate media, it is crucial to remember that media = real life, at least for the average evolved human brain.
Labels: Media Equation

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home