Technology that Enhances Naturalist Intelligence
After looking closely at learning styles' inventories and multiple intelligences' questionnaires, I wondered how technology could be used to address different multiple intelligences. I found an interesting site called "How Technology Enhances Howard Gardner's Eight Intelligences". In this site, Dee Dickinson discusses each of Howard Gardner's eight intelligences and ways that teachers are using technology to enhance student strengths. Of particular interest to me was the "Technology that Enhances Naturalist Intelligence" discussion.
Ms. Dickinson writes, "As electronic technologies become increasingly available and part of our lives, it is essential to recognize that they do not replace human interaction and experience in the natural world. They are, however, excellent tools that facilitate scientific investigation, exploration, and other naturalist activities. Telecommunications technologies help students to understand the world beyond their own environments, and help them to see how their actions can actually affect their world."
Again, technology is just another tool in a teacher's repertoire of tools to engage students in authentic science learning. Technology allows students the opportunity:
- to "experience" different environments such as the Galapagos Islands
- to communicate with experts in the field
- to collect and input real-time data through such sites as the Globe Project and the Jason Project
For students who have a strength in the Naturalistic Intelligence, such online activities make science real world, is authentic with students asking questions, collecting, inputting and analyzing data and becomes cross-curricular and incorporates other intelligences (i.e. math/logical, linguistic, and interpersonal.
By using one of these online resources, teachers really can "break down the walls of the classroom" and differentiate content, process and product.

1 Comments:
I bookmarked both articles. I like these ideas in that they open the "box" so to speak. The computer box is not so much a thing on a desk but a window to so many "things" beyond what we can touch in the classroom or office. I have the same thoughts sometimes, though as the person looking in the snow and not seeing the footprints. I walk through the woods or in nature and wonder where the children are. But I realize that there so many more people and with our impact on the natural world we must travel farther to get to those open natural spaces. What a powerful tool the Internet has become in allowing us to travel at the speed of light or at least the speed of our connection.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home