Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Differentiated Instruction and Measuring Readiness

I have been wondering what kind of easy to use, relatively inexpensive software is available that could help a classroom teacher measure the readiness of students on a particular subject. As a classroom teacher, we are expected to give pre-assessments on each topic (unit) that we cover and use these assessments to tailor curriculum for students. Unfortunately, designing pre-assessments and analyzing the results and finally tailoring curriculum for students based on their readiness is kind if overwhelming. Formative evaluation - what does this really look like in the classroom?

So, I hunted for software that would aid the teacher (me) in at least completing pre-assessment and data analysis of readiness relatively quickly. I found Quia, an online tool that allows me to make different activities for students to complwte online. Each activity will track student performance - so this may be a starting point for determining readiness, a key component of differentiated instruction.

I will be trying it for 30 days and then reevaluate it after this time. The price for a 1-year membership is only $49.00, a reasonable amount if it works for what I need - formative assessments. So here is the email response that I received after signing up for the free trial:


With this trial, you will be able to access all of Quia's features, including:
  • Create 17 types of games and learning activities
  • Create your own quizzes using any (or all) of Quia's 10
    question types
  • Track quiz results
  • Create class Web pages for communicating with students
  • Maintain an online schedule and calendar
  • Upload images and audio clips
  • Share your activities with students, friends, colleagues,
    anyone in the world!

I wonder if anyone has used this web-based service.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 at 6:12 AM , Blogger Barry Bachenheimer said...

I too would love to find a on-line site or piece of software that could help teachers design pre-assessments, ongoing assessments, and use data to help design instruction.

I looked at the website for the Quia program and on the surface, I wasn't terribly impressed. Don't get me wrong-- the concept is good. i like the idea of using data to drive instruction. The limiting factor I found was that the assessments/quizes are all multiple choice, true/false, matching...a very didactic style. I would worry that teachers would simply use this to ask recall and low-level Bloom questions and not truly assess understanding and higher levels of sophistication, a la UbD.

As I have found that most teachers design their own stuff better, check out www.nicenet.org It is an open source class management tool; a text-only moodle. There you could feasibly do a little bit of design yourself.

Let me know what you think of Quia.

 
At March 22, 2007 at 8:41 PM , Blogger Mickey MacDonald said...

I used Quia web with my 9th grade earth science students to review plate tectonics before they took a quiz. I used the pre-made activities which reviewed basic vocabulary. The students really enjoyed playing concentration and the word searchfor vocabulary definitions.

I agree that the examples that are provided are very low level on Bloom; I am going to try and make some questions that are higher level when I complete the quia quiz for pre-assessment. I will let you know how it works.

 
At March 23, 2007 at 3:30 PM , Blogger Bob W. said...

I can see how integrating technology into a differentiated instruction situation could be adding another layer of complexity for the classroom teacher. I don’t know about the effectiveness of certain types of testing (but, I’m learning), though any attempt to ease the teacher workload and provide a better learning experience for the student must be seen as a good thing (yes?). I think it’s encouraging to see companies coming out with programs built on actual teaching concepts. Maybe there are slicker interfaces and deeper programs, but I applaud the teacher that jumps in and flails away to find a better tool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home